PERSONAL DATA PRIVACY NOTICE
Personal Data – What is it? Personal Data is any data relating to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the Data alone or in conjunction with any other information in the Data Controller’s possession, or likely to come into such possession. The processing of Personal Data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR).
Who we are. Bethany Community Church is the data controller. This means that Bethany Community Church decides how your Personal Data is processed and for what purpose. (See the end of this notice for details of the named Bethany Community Church data controller and contact details).
- A member: an individual who has attended the “New Member’s” meeting and chosen to sign the member’s application form.
- Visitor: an individual who regularly attends Bethany Community Church meetings or events but has not become an official member.
- Ministry user/receiver: an individual who is a client of one of Bethany Community Church’s additional ministries i.e. Kings Pantry food bank or LINK befriending.
- How do we process your Personal Data? Bethany Community Church complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping Personal Data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting Personal Data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect Personal Data.
We use your Personal Data for the following purposes:-
- To administer membership records.
- To enable us to provide additional ministries for the benefit of the community.
- To fundraise and promote the interests of the charity.
- To manage employees and volunteers
- To maintain our accounts and records (including the processing of Gift Aid contributions)
- To inform you of news, events, activities, training courses, and church meetings relating to Bethany Community Church.
- To inform of events, activities, meetings and training course organised by other churches or organisations
- To fulfil Bethany Community Church’s lawful obligation in regard to employment, tax, NI, pensions, safeguarding and DBS disclosure regulations.
What is the legal basis for processing your Personal Data?
- In pursuit of the various aspects of its charity Bethany Community Church has a legitimate interest in holding and processing Personal Data, for members, visitors, and its ministry users/receivers
- Processing is necessary for Bethany Community Church to carry out its legal obligations in relation to Gift Aid contributions or staff employment.
- Ministries that do not fall within the boundaries of legitimate interest may collect basic Personal Data with the explicit consent of the ministry user/receiver.
How long do we keep your Personal Data? We retain your Personal Data while it is still current; gift aid declarations and associated paperwork for up to 6 years after the year to which they relate; and former Bethany Community Church members, visitors or ministry users/receivers for as long as you wish to be kept up to date with Bethany Community Church news and events otherwise your Personal Data will be removed.
Your Rights and Personal Data. Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your Personal Data:-
- The right to request a copy of your Personal Data which Bethany Community Church holds about you
- The right to request that Bethany Community Church corrects any Personal Data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date.
- The right to request your Personal Data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Bethany Community Church to retain such data.
- The right to withdraw your consent for Bethany Community Church to process your Personal Data, where consent is the legal basis on which Bethany Community Church holds your data.
- The right to request that the data controller provide the data subject with his/her Personal Data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (Known as the right to data portability), (where applicable) [Only applies where the processing is based on consent or is necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject and in either case the data controller processes the data by automatic means].
- The right, where there is dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your Personal Data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing.
- The right to object to the processing of Personal Data, (where applicable), [Only applies where processing is based on legitimate interest (or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of an official authority); direct marketing and processing for the purpose of scientific/historical research and statistics]
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Further processing. If Bethany Community Church wish to use your Personal Data for a new purpose, not covered by this Personal Data Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purpose and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
Contact Details. To exercise all the relevant rights, queries or complaints please in the first instance contact the Bethany Community Church Data Controllers. The current data controllers are John Swain and Hayley Geurts.
You can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email – https//ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF